Sons Tween Room: On Display

While shopping at the same thrift store I found Tabari's desk at, I also found a large cork board for $3.00. I love cork boards in general but even more hanging above a desk. I updated the basic honey oak frame with glossy white spray paint. I've mentioned before how I don't like to spray paint myself, but this time I went ahead and did it. I'm so glad it came out nice. Next I was thinking about shelving, I liked the idea of adding flaoting shelves to some eliminate kid clutter. With shelving above his desk, he would have a place to hold his books, Nintendo DS games, and his collectibles.

I thought the best place to hang the floating shelves would be next to his desk and cork board. Tabari wanted to hang his cork vertical. While I like Ikeas floating shelves, I didn't want to pay 20 bucks a shelf, since were doing his bedroom makeover on a budget. So I thought the best route to go was DIY, that way we could customize the length and depth of the shelf. We spent around $ 10 bucks for the two shelves. 


Here my son's DIY floating shelves hanging in his room. I painted the shelves a nice glossy white. The floating shelves we built for our son are nice and deep, 24 inches long and 8 inches deep. Perfect to hold stacks of books, leaning pictures and more. I love how the shelves look next to his grey walls & cork board. 




I'm glad I found a special spot to keep his birthday mouse ears from Disneyland, the back of his hat has is name on it. 


Tabari's most prized possession on his shelves: his super heroes [  Incredible Hulk, Ironman & Spiderman, he needs two more to complete his collection ] and his Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. Those books are suck a great read of boys 8 and older! He and I and will read them to together, they are too funny :)






Believe it or not, these shelves are super simple to build. Thanks to the help of Ron Hazelton's House Calls, we watched the videos and got the basic idea and built the shelves, we also got free cuts from Lowes. His bedroom is coming together, just in time - his school starts back in less than two weeks! 


ps: Here's a recap of completed projects for our sons bedroom: Painted the Bedroom (here) Tools Used in Decor (here) Lighting for the Room (here) Finding a Desk (here) West Elm desk chair (here)


Photobucket

0 comments

Post a Comment