My son is 9 years old - So I have to create a perfect balance between adolescence and impending tween years this year he's turning 10! Whoa he'll be in double digits soon. When we bought our house last year I made the huge mistake of painting his room and awful blue shade - I thought I was getting a more mature blue - Um NO, it was a scary baby blue on all 4 walls! Defeated, I left his room untouched for a over a year. Now I've come up with a new color palette that I think he'll enjoy for a while, most importantly he approves.
The Room Plan
- Color Palette: Gray Walls, Navy Blue dresser & Accents, Cranbery Red, Bedframe & desk and Accents, Limey Pear Accents (I really like this color with the grays, reds and blue, it adds more interest to the room). I will update this with the name colors soon.
- Lighting: I really like the woven pendant light from Ikea, I like that it will provide a layer of of texture my sons room and its COOL. However if it proves to be way to large, I will go a DIY route use a large bamboo drum shade instead.
- Organizing: I like this Cork board from Pottery Barn, however at $ 179.99 it’s not in the Budget. I will DIY a large corkboard for his room to hang over his desk. I will also use soft bins for storage for his legos, toys etc.
- Area Rug: Instead of using one large area rug to cover the floors, I plan on using these round area circles from Ikea in blue, red and limey pear. For only $ 9.99 this is a great affordable option.
- Clothes Storage: While I love this option from Land of Nod (Crate & Barrel Kids); I plan on browsing Craigslist hoping to score a great deal on smaller dresser, like I did for my bedroom. The dresser will play double duty and also be used to hold his TV.
- Study Time: A few months ago we found a great desk for $10 bucks on Craigslist, in need of a little love and paint. I plan on painting his desk red and updating the hardware. I will also be on the lookout for the perfect work lamp so he has plenty of light to do his homework.
- His Bed & Bedding: I plan on using is current bed frame, I bought the bed frame from Salvation Army a few years ago and nicely updated it with Red paint, lucky for me it works with his Color Palette. In December I found the perfect bedding at JC Penny's for a steal! His current nightstand while ok - will be updated with a new - again hoping Craigslist Comes though for me.
- Artwork: My son's a little artist; I plan on framing his favorite drawings and paintings with white Ikea Frames. I love the large selection of frames in various sizes and they have AND at great prices. I will also buy a few Hero (Superman & Batman) pictures and frame them as well, of course he'll have final approval on all pictures!