My Sons Room Re-Do Ideas

In January one my of my Project List goals was to create a mood board from my son’s bedroom re-do, January proved to be a busy month and I never had a chance to create one. Now that its' almost February I thought I better get started on his room plans! Even though his room re-do is a few months off, I like to plan ahead. Over the past month I've scored some great finds for his room, see I have been working on it.

My son is 9 years old - So I have to create a perfect balance between adolescence and impending tween years this year he's turning 10! Whoa he'll be in double digits soon. When we bought our house last year I made the huge mistake of painting his room and awful blue shade - I thought I was getting a more mature blue - Um NO, it was a scary baby blue on all 4 walls! Defeated, I left his room untouched for a over a year. Now I've come up with a new color palette that I think he'll enjoy for a while, most importantly he approves.

The Room Plan



My Objective:
  •  Color Palette: Gray Walls, Navy Blue dresser & Accents, Cranbery Red, Bedframe & desk and Accents, Limey Pear Accents (I really like this color with the grays, reds and blue, it adds more interest to the room). I will update this with the name colors soon.
  •  Lighting: I really like the woven pendant light from Ikea, I like that it will provide a layer of of texture my sons room and its COOL. However if it proves to be way to large, I will go a DIY route use a large bamboo drum shade instead.
  • Organizing: I like this Cork board from Pottery Barn, however at $ 179.99 it’s not in the Budget. I will DIY a large corkboard for his room to hang over his desk. I will also use soft bins for storage for his legos, toys etc.
  •  Area Rug: Instead of using one large area rug to cover the floors, I plan on using these round area circles from Ikea in blue, red and limey pear. For only $ 9.99 this is a great affordable option.
  • Clothes Storage: While I love this option from Land of Nod (Crate & Barrel Kids); I plan on browsing Craigslist hoping to score a great deal on smaller dresser, like I did for my bedroom. The dresser will play double duty and also be used to hold his TV.
  • Study Time: A few months ago we found a great desk for $10 bucks on Craigslist, in need of a little love and paint. I plan on painting his desk red and updating the hardware. I will also be on the lookout for the perfect work lamp so he has plenty of light to do his homework.
  • His Bed & Bedding: I plan on using is current bed frame, I bought the bed frame from Salvation Army a few years ago and nicely updated it with Red paint, lucky for me it works with his Color Palette. In December I found the perfect bedding at JC Penny's for a steal! His current nightstand while ok - will be updated with a new - again hoping Craigslist Comes though for me.
  • Artwork: My son's a little artist; I plan on framing his favorite drawings and paintings with white Ikea Frames. I love the large selection of frames in various sizes and they have AND at great prices. I will also buy a few Hero (Superman & Batman) pictures and frame them as well, of course he'll have final approval on all pictures!  
I'm so looking forward to re-doing his room, and he is too. He told me the other night, "Mom, I don't like my bedroom wall color." Of course I'll post his room before picturses very soon, just need to him to pick up his legos off the floor!

0 comments

Post a Comment