Project Nursery: Vintage Ottoman { Upholstery In Progress }

Last Thursday I popped in our local St. Vincent DePaul thrift store in Sacramento. Just looking around with nothing in particular in mind, just looking. When I came across a must buy item, my heart started racing. I had just came across the perfect vintage ottoman for Avery's nursery. Back when we finally decided on going with the Luxe Chair from World Market, I decided against buying the matching ottoman. Even though the frame was $ 40.00 (the slipcover is sold separately) I didn't really want the ottoman and the chair to be 'matchy matchy.' I wanted an ottoman with more personality. Here's the ottoman we didn't buy.

So when I came across the vintage ottoman I was thrilled, it was a nice size and heavy. I liked the feet and the piping and could see all the potential. The Thrift Store was asking $ 12 bucks for it, I was SOLD. When I asked the sales clerk about buying it, she marked the price done to $ 10 bucks, even better. During check out, I may have hummed finders keepers, losers weepers in my head like I was six again :) Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels like this when they find an amazing piece for their home. I'm not sure how old this ottoman is but given the weight and old gold flowered fabric I'm guessing its from the 60's or 70's I could be way off. When I got home I placed the ottoman in Avery's nursery -- perfect fit for the Luxe Chair .


For the fabric I knew I wanted a print and a solid color piping. Then I remember I already had the perfect fabric, I bought a long time ago for Euro pillows for our bedroom. I'm so glad I never got around to using this fabric. The fabric is Cross Section by Waverly in Grey. A few years back BB { before blogging } Mr. CHL and I reupholstered a vintage, the project was pretty easy mostly stapling and sewing piping. So I was pretty confident I could diy this project, it just involves more sewing.


Starting the Re-upholstery Process.

I flipped over the ottoman and took off the bottom fabric. The bottom fabric was so old it fell off. Next I used a seam riper to open up the corners on the ottoman, to loosen up the old fabric. Then I cut into the piping on the bottom and pulled it off using needle nose pliers. Then started to carefully pull back the fabric off the ottoman.





After looking closely at the ottoman I could tell it was sewn on, so I used my seam ripper to separate the the cushion from the bottom portion. The cushion was completely covered in the old fabric, so I plan to do the same when I recover it. Next, I carefully removed all the fabric from the bottom of the ottoman. I planned to use the old fabric as my pattern to cut my new fabric out with.



I pinned the old fabric on top of the new fabric and then cut it out. Thankfully the fabric is small pattern so I didn't have to be careful about placing the old patterns on the new fabric. After the four sides out I carefully pinned the fabric on the corners, I also marked the fabric with a pencil to use as a guide for sewing. I sew two sides at a time then attached them together. Once all four sides where sewn together, I placed it upside down to make sure it fit properly. Once the fit was good, I turned it upside down. The fabric was looking really good on the ottoman.





Next up, I'll be sewing piping for the bottom of the ottoman and the pillow cushion. Then spray painting the feet of the ottoman and sewing a cover for the cushion. So far its turning out really good. I think the pattern will look great in Avery's nursery. Can't wait to finish up this project.

What do you think? Have your re-upholstered anything?

Follow Along: As we create a nursery for our baby boy due in June 2011 (He arrived early 6/3/11) From the beginning; Nursery Bare Bones, Paint Makes the Difference, Bye Bye Boob Light &Hemming & Hawing, Crib Notes, To Rock or Not To Rock? Nursery Artwork


Photobucket

0 comments

Post a Comment