Design Trends { Skip It? }

Recently I came across an article from MSN Lifestyle section say ' 9 Decor Trends to Skip ' I read the article and have my own opinion and my home according to MSN - has some items I should have skipped or put away! Here's the article along with my thoughts.

Trend #1: Antlers
Why Skip It: When the antlers craze hit, it hit hard. Mounted horns earned countless shelter mag centerfolds. Eventually, the trend spread to include objects fashioned out of antlers, from chandeliers to toilet paper holders. These days, they feel almost cliche. In short: Anything this hot was destined to become so not.

CLH: I think the right faux antlers can look so whimsical in the right space! I'd love some faux antlers in our new bookcase. Plus, I think if MSN Lifestyle saw how Janell of Isabella & Max Rooms has antlers in her  home, they would re-think their stance.


{ via here }
Trend #2: Taxidermy
Why Skip It: A few seasons ago, hipsters inexplicably embraced mummified mammals and petrified peacocks as part of the Gilded Age revival. This was not a look that worked for most people -- even (cough) the hipsters. Other components of this shudder-inducing trend: decorative monkey skeletons and those somber ancestral portraits where the eyes seem to follow you around the room. Rule of thumb: Anything that looks like the set of the last Tim Burton movie is a no.

CLH: Personally taxidermy is a no-no for me and creeps me out, BUT Jamie of Furbish makes it look so cool

{ via Furbish }
Trend #3: Inspirational Sayings
Why Skip It: "Keep Calm and Carry On" is an admirable sentiment, but it's become the '00s equivalent of those "Hang In There, Baby" cat posters from the '70s. In other words, it's time to let it go. Also included in the "do not want" category? Lettered wall decals with homespun homilies about friendship, clouds, or dreams. Put it this way: Not everyone wants to learn a lesson every time they drop by.

CLH: I love my bright yellow "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster in our living room, its a timeless saying that's been around since World War II. I know its been popping up everywhere, however I love it and it makes my smile and I get many compliments on the poster all the time.


Trend #4: Decorative Buddha Sculptures
Why Skip It: Sure, they're jolly, and their little bellies are hard to resist. But Buddha decor, part of the "Zen Retreat" trend that made family rooms all over America resemble the inside of Gwyneth Paltrow's yoga studio, is now pretty passe. In short: Buddha statues are religious symbols, not kitschy garden gnomes.

CLH: I don't have in Buddha's in my home, if I came across a cool one and had a spot for it, I'm sure it would be in my house. If they make you happy, why not?



Trend #5: Ghost Chairs
Why Skip It: We know. We love them too. But they've lost their novelty, their ability to surprise. Plus they scratch easily. Out of all the trends on this list, we're most hoping these make a quick comeback. Until then, let them vanish into the night -- or at least the attic.

CLH:  For my household there not practical and always look so tiny, but they are cool in the right space. I like them paired in lofts with desk.

{ via decorpad }
Trend #6: Poufs
Why Skip It: Poufs came on the scene as niftier, hipper replacements for cubed leather ottomans, but they too have seen their day, thanks in part to an influx of homemade versions. We're usually in favor of DIY decorating, but we'd be happy if we never saw another lumpy, newspaper-stuffed pouf. Besides -- most adults prefer to sit higher than a foot off the floor.

CHL:  You all know I want to knit a pouf for my living room! I see poufs as a great spot for shelters magazines to land.

Trend #7: Accent Walls
Why Skip It: When all-white rooms were in fashion, one brightly painted or wallpapered wall was a great way to break up the monotony. But now, with bolder paint colors the norm, accent walls have less purpose and can break up the flow of a room. Plus, what was once an unpredictable pop of color is now, well...predictable.

CHL: We have an accent wall in our living room, I like the pop of color on the wall, its not for everyone - but its works for us.


Trend #8: Boutique Hotel Chic
Why Skip It: The stiff minimalism, the dull neutrals, the oppressive uniformity. Where's the personality? Do we all really want to look like we live in a W hotel suite circa 2002? Conclusion: Modern luxury is all about ultra-unique pieces, so ditch the cookie cutter.

CHL: I agree cookie cutter can look boring. Hotel chic for me makes me think about a nice escape/retreat in your bedroom { which is what your bedroom should be an escape } as long as its personalized to you that's what matters.

{ via here }
Trend #9: Black Chalkboard Paint
Why Skip It: In theory, rooms painted to resemble blackboards have an old-timey, one-room schoolhouse- style awesomeness. In reality, they're dusty repositories of half-erased stick figures and long-forgotten shopping lists. Plus, everyone you know already jumped on this trend, so stick a fork in it. Exception: We think chalkboard paint in unexpected colors still has legs.

CHL: We have a dark grey chalkboard frame in our dining room and its so much fun to write notes on from grocery lists, to tonight's menu. I love them. Again, if you haven't seen how Janell used chalkboard paint in her Max's Big Boy Room, you will disagree with MSN Lifestyle.


Bottom line: I think homes should be a reflection of the individuals who live there, what works best them, how they use the space. Plus I think home also looks a little more fun, when a but whimsy is thrown into the design mix. Design is supposed to be fun!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 9 Design Trends to Skip. Are you guilty of having a design No-No in your house according to MSN Lifestyle { like I am }, if yes which ones? Why do you love it?
Also which design trends above have you skipped?

Photobucket

0 comments

Post a Comment